At ThinkGeek, we refer to our Assistant Store Managers as "First Geek Officers."
Under general supervision, the First Geek Officer supports the Supreme Geek (Store Manager) in all facets of store operations. The principal business outcome for this position is to ensure that world-class customer service experiences are provided using elements of ThinkGeek's GEEKOUT Sales Model. This includes ensuring the store is clean, well-organized, properly merchandised at all times, answering questions, and assisting with product selection, purchases, and returns. Using ThinkGeek's Empowered Leadership Model, this position supervises Lead Geek Specialist and Geek Specialist in the absence of the First Geek Officer.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Enjoy active selling, including exploring and creating customer needs and closing the sale. Demonstrate a passion for the customer and exceeding goals.
GEEKOUT Selling Focus:
- Provide world-class customer service: promptly greet customers, respond to customer concerns and complaints quickly, effectively and courteously.
- Prioritize customers over tasks and demonstrate that commitment by circulating throughout the store to assist them.
- Promptly process customer purchases/return transactions via Point-of-Sale computer system via PC keyboard, including making accurate change, placing merchandise in a bag, and removing receipt from the printer to give to customer.
Drive sales and customer loyalty by creating complete, lasting customer solutions. Demonstrate unique interest in every customer. Ask questions and makes recommendations in order identify and celebrate the customer's inner Geek.
- Use GEEKOUT Selling techniques to align customer needs with ThinkGeek products, recommend additional items as appropriate, and ensure every customer is thanked for shopping at ThinkGeek.
Demonstrate a selfless commitment to others on the store team, including schedule and activity-based dependability, continuous improvement, and responding effectively to feedback. Actively seeks opportunities to contribute at higher level of service to the business, the customers, and others on the team.
- Assist with supervising staffing levels to achieve optimum customer service at all times and ensure that world-class customer service is consistently provided.
- Provide timely and appropriate feedback to the Supreme Geek concerning staff performance and address as directed.
- Assist the Supreme Geek with training store associates in all aspects of their job responsibilities, including company/store policies procedures, and guidelines.
- Assist store team in meeting sales, profit and shrink goals and accomplish administrative and operational duties set by Supreme Geek.
Respond rapidly, accurately, and consistently to all of the operational requirements essential for creating exceptional and profitable customer experiences in a consistently clean, neat, and well organized store.
- Respond to customer comments or questions in person or on the phone; answer phone calls promptly, courteously and professionally, using the prescriptive phone greeting provided by ThinkGeek.
- In partnership with the Supreme Geek, conduct store inventory counts, stock/restock merchandise on shelves and fixtures, and move product from the stock room to the front of the store to ensure that all products in the store are represented, organized, and alphabetized on the sales floor.
- Count, balance and reconcile daily business transaction totals correctly and accurately in the point-of-sale (POS) system; ensure all closeout paperwork for daily business transactions and bank deposit slips are completed correctly and accurately; ensure store has sufficient cash and change for sales transactions; make bank deposits daily per established guidelines.
- Verify all shipments for discrepancies/shortages and record any discrepancies in the POS system; conduct merchandise counts/inventories and communicate discrepancies to Supreme Geek/General Manager.
- Adhere to all loss prevention guidelines, including but not limited to, visually inspect specialists' and managers' bags when leaving the store.
- Ensure all store fixtures and equipment is in proper working order.
- Process defectives/recalls and stock pulls accurately and promptly, ensuring that all boxes are properly labeled and include packing lists.
- Assist in maintaining store records/files in a neat and organized manner; help ensure that manuals are up-to-date.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- Building Customer Loyalty - Effectively meets customer's needs; builds productive customer relationships; takes responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Contributing to Team Success - Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Delegating Responsibility - Allocates task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization's and individual's effectiveness.
- Energy - Consistently maintains high levels of activity or productivity; sustains long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness and determination over periods of time.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Must be at least 18 years of age and present state-required proof of age documents
- High school diploma or GED required; An Associate's or accredited Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in business, marketing, merchandising, or related field preferred
- At least 2 years of retail sales, customer service, and/or leadership/management experience required; at least 6 months of retail management experience preferred
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach with arms / hands, climb on ladders, and lift merchandise weighing up to 20 lbs. from ground level to minimum height of 4 feet
- Must be able to work alone and move throughout the store unassisted for up to 12 hours
- Must have transportation to make bank deposits as needed according to Company guidelines
- Proficient customer service skills
- Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using spoken and written English; bilingual (English/Spanish) skills preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Proficient knowledge of operating a point-of-sale computer system and properly completing required paperwork
- Proficient understanding of basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Pop Culture and collectible knowledge preferred
- Proficient self-motivation and ability to work as a team to complete necessary tasks in a timely manner
- Proficient problem solving skills and judgment abilities
- Proficient ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form
- Ability to deliver bank deposits according to loss prevention safety guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours/days as necessary, including Sundays
- Ability to remain effective under pressure; ability to handle stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
- Consistently demonstrates a commitment to ThinkGeek policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities
- Demonstrated commitment to all Respectful Workplace policies, procedures, and general expectations.